Athanasia Alexoudi, MD, PhD
Dr. Athanasia Alexoudi is a Neurologist, having obtained by medical degree and PhD degree from the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens in Athens, Greece, where she was also born and raised. She completed her Neurology Residency training at the “G. Gennimatas” Athens General Hospital in Greece. Upon completion of her residency, she pursued a master’s degree in Headache Medicine at “La Sapienza” University in Rome, Italy, and then a research fellowship in Deep Brain Stimulation in movement disorders at the Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel in Germany under the mentorship of Prof. Dr. med. Günther Deuschl. She subsequently completed her PhD that she was pursuing at the time through the University of Athens regarding the association of genes to oxidative stress, focusing on multiple sclerosis as an inflammatory model of a disease with neurodegenerative features. In 2013 she returned to Greece and joined the Neurosurgery Department at the University of Athens as a fellow where she leveraged her expertise in neuromodulation in assessing therapeutic interventions in people with neurodegenerative movement disorders and pain. Since 2020 she is a Post-doctoral Fellow in the same department.
In 2020, upon starting my final year as a post-doctoral fellow at the University of Athens, I joined the Neurological Institute of Athens (NIA) as a part-time clinical instructor with plans for full-time integration this coming year towards developing the recently established Movement Disorders Center in materializing its clinical, research, educational, and health policy goals. As part of my research focus, I plan to combine the same department.
MD & PhD, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece
Neurology Residency, Department of Neurology, “G. Gennimatas” General Hospital, Athens
Master’s degree in Headache Medicine at “La Sapienza” University in Rome, Italy
Research Fellowship on Deep Brain Stimulation, Christian-Albrechts- Universität zuKiel, Kiel, Germany
Clinical Fellowship on Neuromodulation, Neurosurgery Department, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece.
Post-doctoral Fellowship, Neurosurgery Department, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Clinical Board Certifications
Hellenic Headache Society-Board member
International Neuromodulation Society (INS)
- Stathis P, Konitsiotis S, Tagaris G, Peterson D; on behalf of VALID- PD Study Group - Levetiracetam for the Management of Levodopa- Induced Dyskinesias in Parkinson’s disease. Mov Disord. 2011 Feb 1; 26(2):264-70.
- Stavropoulou C, Zachaki S, Alexoudi A, Pantelias GE, Karageorgiou, CE, Sambani C. The C609T inborn polymorphism in NAD(P)H: Quinone Oxidoreductase 1 (NQO1) is associated with susceptibility to multiple sclerosis and affects the risk of development of the primary progressive form of the disease. Free Radic Biol Med. 2011 May 5-2011.
- Alexoudi A, Schneider SA. Alternating hemiplegia of childhood and rapid-onset dystonia parkinsonism are allelic disorders due to ATP1A3 gene mutations. Mov Disord. 2012 Oct; 27(12):1494.
- Alexoudi A, Schneider SA. Mutations in the phospholipid remodelling gene SERAC1 cause MEGDEL syndrome. Mov Disord. 2012 Dec;27(14):1738.
- Alexoudi A, Schneider SA, Deuschl G. Submandibular gland biopsy for the diagnosis of Parkinson disease. Mov Disord. 2013 Jun; 28(6):734.
- Alexoudi A, Schneider SA. De Novo Mutations in the β-Tubulin Gene TUBB4: From DYT4 to Leukoencephalopathy Hypomyelination with Atrophy of the Basal Ganglia and Cerebellum. Mov Disord. 2013 Sep; 28(10):1343.
- Alexoudi A, Zalonis I, Stathis P. Could a structural damage mimic a Parkinson plus syndrome? CEJ MED. 2013 Aug; 8(4): 450-454.
- Shalash A, Alexoudi A, Knudsen K, Volkmann J, Mehdorn M, Deuschl G. The impact of age and disease duration on the long-term outcome of neurostimulation of the subthalamic nucleus. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2014 Jan 20;(1):47-52.
- Alexoudi A, Stavropoulou C, Zachaki S, Chatzi I, Koumbi D, Stavropoulou K, Kollia P, Karageorgiou EC, Sambani C. Combined GSTP1 and NQO1 germline polymorphisms in the susceptibility to Multiple Sclerosis. Int J Neurosci. 2015 Jan;125(1):32-7.
- Alexoudi A, Shalash A, Knudsen K, Witt K, Mehdorn M, Volkmann J, Deuschl G. The medical treatment of patients with Parkinson's disease receiving subthalamic neurostimulation. Parkinsonism Relat. Disord. 2015 Jun;21(6):555-60.
- Schneider SA, Boettner M, Alexoudi A, Zorenkov D, Deuschl G, Wedel T. Can we use peripheral tissue biopsies to diagnose Parkinson's disease? A review of the literature. Eur J Neurol. 2016 Feb;23(2):247-61.
- Patrikelis P, Lucci G, Alexoudi A, Kosmidis M, Siatouni A, Verentzioti A, Sakas D, Gatzonis S. Can Neuropsychological Rehabilitation Determine the Candidacy for Epilepsy Surgery? Implications for Cognitive Reserve Theorizing. J Neurol Neurophysiol 2017 Oct; 8:5.
- Alexoudi A, Sakas D, Gatzonis S. The "Ravel issue" and possible implications. Dementia (London). 2018 May;17(4):401-404.
- Alexoudi A, Alexoudi I, Gatzonis S. Association between rosacea and Parkinson Disease.JAMA Neurol. 2016 Sep 1;73(9):1159
- Alexoudi A, Alexoudi I, Gatzonis S. Association between rosacea and gastrointestinal disorders. Br J Dermatol. 2016 Dec;175(6):1405.
- Alexoudi A, Dalivigka Z, Siatouni A, Verentzioti A, Gatzonis S. Oromandibular dystonia; a case report of the lateral pterygoid muscle involvement and treatment with botulinum toxin A and comments on the literature. Clin Pract. 2016 Oct 10;6(3):862.
- Alexoudi A, Zachaki S, Stavropoulou C, Gavrili S, Spiliopoulou C, Papadodima S, Karageorgiou CE, Sambani C. Possible implication of GSTP1 and NQO1 polymorphisms on natalizumab response in Multiple Sclerosis. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2016 Dec;46(6):586-591.
- Patrikelis P, Lucci G, Siatouni A, Verentzioti A, Alexoudi A, Gatzonis S. Potential implications of Luria's work for the neuropsychology of epilepsy and epilepsy surgery: A perspective for re-examination. Epilepsy Behav. 2017 Jul; 72:161-172.
- Alexoudi A, Politis K, Moukidou A, Tsatovidou R, Ververaki S, Tavernarakis A, Siatouni A, Verentzioti A, Mitsikostas D, Gatzonis S. Variables affecting factors associated with primary headache. Clin Pract. 2018 Jan 8;8(1):1031.
- Fasilis T, Patrikelis P, Siatouni A, Alexoudi A, Veretzioti A, Zachou L, Gatzonis SS.A pilot study and brief overview of rehabilitation via virtual environment in patients suffering from dementia. Psychiatriki. 2018 Jan-Mar;29(1):42-51.
- Patrikelis P, Lucci G, Alexoudi A, Korfias S, Verentzioti A, Sakas D, Gatzonis S. A Neuropsychological Experimental Paradigm to Detect Insular Cortex Dysfunction: Implication for Differential Diagnosis of Insular Cortex Epilepsy. clinics in surgery. 2018 Nov.
- Banos S, Themistoklis K, Vlachakis E, Gatzonis S, Alexoudi A, Patrikelis P, Sakas D, Korfias S. Telemetric Monitoring of Intracranial Pressure. HOSPITAL CHRONICLES 2019, 14(2): 39–47
- Alexoudi A, Alexoudi I, Gatzonis S. Parkinson’s disease pathogenesis; evolution and alternative pathways: A review. Rev Neurol (Paris). 2018 Dec;174(10):699-704.
- Alexoudi A, Patrikelis P, Fasilis T, Deftereos S, Sakas D, Gatzonis S. Effects of anodal tDCS on motor and cognitive function in a patient with Multiple System Atrophy. Disabil Rehabil. 2020 Mar;42(6):887-891.
- Patrikelis P, Alexoudi A, Takoussi M, Liouta E, Lucci G, Korfias S, Verentzioti A, Sakas D, Gatzonis S. Emotional asymmetries in refractory medial temporal and frontal lobe epilepsy: Their impact on predicting lateralization and localization of seizures. Epilepsy Behav. 2019 May; 94:269-276.
- Verentzioti A, Blumcke I, Alexoudi A, Patrikelis P, Siatouni A, Korfias S, Sakas D, Gatzonis S. Epileptic Patient with Mild Malformation of Cortical Development with Oligodendroglial Hyperplasia and Epilepsy (MOGHE): A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Case Rep Neurol Med. 2019 Jun 9;2019.
- Patrikelis P, Lucci G, Alexoudi A, Korfias S, Verentzioti A, Sakas D, Gatzonis S. Addressing evidence linking organic alexithymia to aberrant humor processing. Behav Neurol. 2019 Jul 18; 2019:1803624.
- Patrikelis P, Lucci G, Alexoudi A, Verentzioti A, Gatzonis S. Commentary on: Indications and expectations for neuropsychological assessment in epilepsy surgery in children and adults. Epileptic Disord 2019; 21(3): 221-34.
- Karatza E, Markantonis S, Savvidou A, Verentzioti A, Siatouni A, Alexoudi A, Gatzonis S , Mavrokefalou E, Karalis V. Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacodynamic modeling of levetiracetam: investigation of factors affecting the clinical outcome. Xenobiotica. 2020 Sep;50(9):1090-1100.
- Alexoudi A, Deftereos S. CGRP Antagonists: Side Effects and potential Parkinson’s disease development. Headache. 2020 Apr;60(4):789-790.
- Alexoudi A, Patrikelis P, Deftereos S, Fasilis T, Karakalos D, Verentzioti A, Korfias S, Sakas D, Gatzonis S. Effects of Anodal Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation on Cognitive Dysfunction in Patients with Progressive Supranuclear Palsy. Psychiatriki. 2019 Oct-Dec;30(4):320-328.
- Leontariti M, Avgeris M, Katsarou M. S, Drakoulis N, Siatouni A, Verentzioti A, Alexoudi A, Fytraki A, Patrikelis P, Vassilacopoulou D, Gatzonis S, Sideris D. Circulating miR-146a and miR-134 in predicting drug resistant focal impaired awareness epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2020 May;61(5):959-970.
- Patrikelis P, Lucci G, Alexoudi A, Verentzioti A, Gatzonis S. Reply on: Indications and expectations for neuropsychological assessment in epilepsy surgery in children and adults. Epileptic Disord. 2020 Jun 1;22(3):353-354.
- Patrikelis P, Korfias S, Alexoudi A, Papasilekas T, Banos S, Vlachakis E, Sakas D, Gatzonis S. Can dynamic memory changes represent an index of raised intracranial pressure in Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension? From Luria to Higgins et al. Med Hypotheses. 2020 May 21;143:109832.
- Alexandratou I, Stefanatou M, Verentzioti A, Gkougka D, Stavrakakis S, Efthimiopoulos S, Siatouni A, Patrikelis P, Alexoudi A, Gatzonis S. Seasonal Pattern of Epileptic Seizures: A Sngle- Center Experience. Neurology and Neurobiology. 2020
- Korfias SI, Banos S, Alexoudi A, Themistoklis K, Vlachakis E, Patrikelis P, Gatzonis S, Sakas DE. Telemetric Intracranial Pressure Monitoring: Our experience with 22 patients investigated for Intracranial Hypertension.Br J Neurosurg. 2020 Dec 2:1-12.
- Stefanatou M, Vasileiadou Kapetanou E, Kimiskidis VK, Papaliagkas V, Polychronopoulos P, Markoula S, Charisiou K, Kazis D, Verentzioti A, Patrikelis P, Alexoudi A, Gatzonis S. Α Multicenter Retrospective Study Evaluating Brivaracetam in the Treatment of Epilepsies in Clinical Practice. Pharmaceuticals (Basel). 2021 Feb 19;14(2):165.
- Chelban V, Breza M, Szaruga M, Vandrovcova J, Lee C.J, Alikhwan S, Bourinaris T, Vavougios G, Ilyas M, Ahsan Halim S, Al-Harrasi A, Kartanou C, Ronald C, Blumcke I, Alexoudi A, Gatzonis S, Stefanis L, Karadima G, Wood N. W, Chavez-Gutierrez L, Hardy J, Houlden H, Koutsis G. Spastic paraplegias the first manifestation of PSEN1-related familial Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimers Dement (Amst) (Epub ahead of print).